Not so long ago, two family members decided to go vegetarian – for no other reason than they said they didn’t care for the taste and texture of meat anymore. For some meat, I can’t totally disagree with them. For me, the more different we get with our particular protocols and preferences, the more we have to cook (separate meals), the less we get to eat together (because preparation gets out of sync), or both. So, to dine together, I’ve been playing around with some different stuff that satisfies my gluten free needs and others’ vegetarian needs. Mushrooms do a great job of absorbing flavors and have a great texture, so this just seemed like a good project to work on.My family loves my Gluten Free Sausage & Pepper Lasagna, which became my inspiration for this recipe. This “sausage” recipe started out as part of a new lasagna recipe, Roasted Zucchini Lagagna, but can stand on its own when a crumbled, sweet Italian sausage is called upon in things like pizza toppings, omelettes and more! Note: That 8 ounces of mushrooms will cook down to about 5 glorious ounces of “sausage.”
Sweet Italian “Sausage” – Gluten Free and Vegetarian!
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
If cross contamination is a concern,click HERE to view products from my favorite spice company that are organic and gluten free!
Curious about ingredients used in this recipe? Click here for info and sources!
- 8 ounce package White Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (Hot! Use more or less to suit your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Fennel Seed (Crush with the back of a spoon)
- Pinch of Sugar
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms and place in a skillet.
- Add all other ingredients and cook over medium heat until most of the moisture has evaporated (this can take about 15 minutes). Chop the mushrooms even more with the edge of a spatula, until it is the coarse texture of ground sausage.
- Use in your favorite recipes or refrigerate and use up in a few days.