This is a family favorite inspired by an Iowa restaurant we frequented years ago. Noodles are optional, but that’s one of the ingredients we believe makes this soup so good. Look for liquid smoke in your local grocery store…and be sure you choose one labeled GF!
Gluten Free Smoky Beef Soup
- 1 Pound Beef Roast or Stew Meat
- 2 Cups Carrots, Sliced
- 1 Cup Celery
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 32 Ounces Beef Broth
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- Optional Noodles
- For best results, place all ingredients (except liquid smoke and noodles) in a crockpot.
- Add water to cover all of the ingredients, if necessary.
- Cook on low all day (8 hours) or until the beef is tender and falls apart. Otherwise, place all ingredients in a covered pot and cook on low for several hours until beef is tender and falls apart.
- Season with salt and pepper until it suits your personal taste. Add additional water if desired.
- Add the liquid smoke and noodles.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
Using a slow cooker can add a few more hours to the cooking time, but also a little convenience!
This soup freezes well, so you can enjoy your leftovers anytime.