In 30 minutes, you can create a little something different to make gluten free life a bit more exciting and satisfying! If sweet, savory, smoky and a little kick are your thing, then read on. Versatile? You bet. It is an outstanding burger topping, a yummy appetizer when topped on a toasted GF baguette slice that’s been slathered with a little mascarpone or cream cheese. But, one of our favorite uses of this jam is on a pizza – spread it on your favorite GF pizza crust and place in the oven to heat it through. Sprinkle with (GF labeled) gorgonzola/blue cheese and wait for an overwhelming “Yum!” from your recipients!
Gluten Free Smoky Bacon-Onion-Fig Jam
ALWAYS double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status (including manufacturer's statements) before using!
If cross contamination is a concern,click HERE to view products from my favorite spice company that are organic and gluten free!
- 2 Ounces Bacon
- 1 Onion, Sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (or oil if you are dairy free)
- 4 Dried Figs, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Sherry
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, place bacon on paper towels and allow to cool.
- Melt the butter (or oil) in the bacon grease, then saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and the bacon, and simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator and use it up within a week.
Liquid Smoke is a fantastic way to add a smoky flavor to food, but a little goes a long way. Most grocery stores carry it (look in the BBQ sauce section) but make sure you read the label to make sure the brand you buy is GF.
I recently went to make this but realized I didn't have any orange juice. I substituted 1/2 teaspoon of dry orange peel, 1/4 cup of water and a teaspoon of honey and it all worked out just fine.