It’s that time of the year…Bags of zucchini mysteriously show up on your front porch; Your zucchini plants in the garden are producing faster than you can eat them; Zucchini are on sale at the grocery store at a price you can’t pass up. We never want to waste zucchini and this year is no exception. For the past few weeks, I’ve been trying to pick the zucchini from my garden before they become ginormous (and too nasty to eat). So far it’s been a great garden year, almost too good in the zucchini department! So, the “noodle” in this recipe is really roasted zucchini planks – technically that makes this a grain free and nut free lasagna too. But, if you like a noodle in your lasagna, take a look at my recipe for Gluten Free Sausage & Pepper Lasagna!
This recipe uses about a pound of zucchini, and I used a round zucchini, since I had the most of those ready to be picked, but any variety will do. This lasagna can be made with (pictured) or without the Sweet Italian “Sausage” – Vegetarian & Gluten Free or you can add beef or regular sausage if that’s your thing and you don’t need the vegetarian version.
A mandolin slicer with the thick slice blade works particularly well. You’ll need to roast the zucchini for about half an hour or so to dry it out a bit – which gives you plenty of time to prepare the sausage or beef, as well as the cheese filling.
Gluten Free Roasted Zucchini Lasagna
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
If cross contamination is a concern,click HERE to view products from my favorite spice company that are organic and gluten free!
Curious about ingredients used in this recipe? Click here for info and sources!
- 1 Pound Zucchini
- Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 Cups Spaghetti Sauce (your favorite jar sauce should do)
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Pound Sausage or Beef, Cooked (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese, Grated, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into planks about 1/8" think - a mandolin slicer works particularly well here.
- Place zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper - use 2 baking sheets if necessary.
- Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place on the center rack in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until they look soft and start to dry out a little.
- While the zucchinis are roasting, mix the yogurt, cheese, eggs garlic powder and salt together and set aside.
- When the zucchini is done roasting, remove from oven and allow to cool a little to make for easier handling.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees F.
- Using a 4" x 8" bread pan, spread a few tablespoons of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- Place about 1/3 of the zucchini pieces flat over the sauce.
- Spread 1/2 of the yogurt cheese mixture over the zucchini layer, then add 1/2 of the meat (if you are using it).
- Follow the previous step one more time, then use the last of the zucchini to cover the last layer.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce over the top layer, then sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Place uncovered, on the center rack of the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with additional sauce.
Not a yogurt fan? You can substitute ricotta cheese for the yogurt.
My favorite brand of sauce is Mezzetta - it tastes like my mom's homemade sauce and is certified gluten free!