Looking for a decadent, gluten/grain/dairy free dessert? Look no further! Lots of molten and lava cake recipes have been popping up all over the place lately, so I can’t take credit for the concept, but I did create my own version only because I was in a chocolate mood, and a handful of chocolate chips just wasn’t cutting it.
These cakes are so easy to make – just a few minutes of prep time, pop them in the refrigerator while you eat dinner, then bake them for about 10 minutes at the most and voila! You’ll have an elegant dessert! Store a few unbaked ones in the freezer in the event you want a fantastic chocolate fix some night but don’t want to put in all the effort to make them from scratch (just be sure to thaw prior to baking). And, you can make them in different sizes, just be sure to adjust the baking time (the smaller the cake, the shorter the time).
Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cake
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
Curious about ingredients used in this recipe? Click here for info and sources!
Although the prep takes under 30 minutes, these need to be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes - or you can freeze them (then thaw for 20 minutes or so before baking) and have rather fast, decadent treat!
- 1/3 Cup Chocolate Chips (for dairy free, see notes below)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 Tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- Gather up 4 ramekins (under 3" in diameter and at least 2" deep) - I prefer Silicone Baking Cups because they are super easy to get the cakes out of them.
- Grease each ramekin/cup, then place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil until smooth and melted. Stay near it - it melts pretty fast. Let cool for several minutes.
- Beat the eggs, honey, salt, vanilla and cocoa powder together. While beating, slowly pour in the chocolate mixture and beat until well combined.
- Pour batter equally into your ramekins, then place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (this is a great make ahead dessert).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes. The cake should get puffy and a little cracked on top. (If you overcook them, you won't get the lava in the middle, but you will still have an amazingly decadent chocolate cake.)
- Remove from oven.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin (not necessary with silicone). Place a plate on top of the ramekin and turn upside down while holding the plate and ramekin together. If the cake does not release, try running the knife around again.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream or berries. Enjoy!
You can experiment with different extract depending on your mood. Coffee, peppermint and almond extracts make these super delicious too!
If you freeze them, be sure to let them thaw for 20-30 minutes before baking.
For dairy free, consider using these chocolate chips Some stores carry them in the natural food section too!