Think yummy, crispy, comfort food chicken is no longer a part of your gluten free lifestyle? Well, you may want to think again! These gluten free, grain free, dairy free beauties are ready to satisfy! I got the inspiration to make these after a recent visit to Atlanta, where I dined at Bantam+Biddy, a lovely restaurant that is mostly gluten free – even the fryers! The chicken was so good, we ordered more and ate like there was no tomorrow, dipping the chicken into a delicious Honey Wasabi sauce – and the awesome guy at restaurant actually shared their oh-so-simple sauce recipe with me. Now, keep in mind, they have deep fryers, so their fried chicken is legit – These are pan fried, but still takes care of business. So, if you are in Atlanta, you may want to consider this place (I found them with my little vetting process – click here to read that post). If you’re not near Atlanta, make these and see what you think! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets with Honey Wasabi Dipping Sauce
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
This batter works well for making onion rings too! Just follow the instructions, substituting sliced onions for the chicken.
- Cut the chicken into planks, nuggets or pieces but keep the thickness at about 1/2 inch.
- Whisk the batter ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, large enough to accommodate the cut up chicken.
- Drop the chicken pieces into the batter and coat all the pieces. Set aside.
- Combine the dust ingredients on a small plate.
- Heat about a half inch of oil in a small frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take the chicken pieces, one at a time, and dredge lightly in the dust.
- Place chicken pieces in the hot oil in a single layer. You may need to do a few batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- After a few minutes, check to see if the undersides are golden brown and crispy, then flip to cook the other side.
- Once cooked, carefully remove chicken pieces from the oil and place on a wire rack or paper towels. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- To prepare the sauce: In a small bowl or ramekin, mix wasabi powder and water together and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and serve with hot chicken.