Elegant and easy appetizer needed? Mushrooms, tarragon and bacon take center stage in this delicious toast that can be served warm or cold. Warm your favorite cheese on top of a crispy toast (omit if you’re dairy free – still delicious) and you’ve got something really special. Thinking of the “optional” option with the fish sauce? Unless you have an allergy, consider getting to know this stuff. Used sparingly, you won’t get a fish smell or taste, just a little umami in many different dishes!
Gluten Free Bacon & Mushroom Crostini
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
Don't have a GF baguette? You can make this (not dairy free) Fast Focaccia as a flatbread - spread it thin on the pan, bake it and cut into squares.
- 12 Pieces Gluten Free Baguette or Bread, sliced
- Mozzarella, Gruyere, Parmesan or Brie Cheese
- 4 Strips of Bacon
- 8 oz. Fresh Mushrooms (One small package)
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, sliced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic ,chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Fish Sauce (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons Tarragon (fresh, chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put your bread slices on a baking rack and brush with oil. Place the rack on a baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees F until the bread reaches your desired crispness. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, then remove from pan onto paper towels. Crumble when cool and set aside.
- In the bacon grease (or you can use a few tablespoons of your favorite oil), sauce garlic for a minute or two, then add the mushrooms and onions.
- Cook the vegetables until the mushrooms have released their moisture and the moisture has evaporated.
- Mix the vinegar and fish sauce together and drizzle over the mushroom mixture, tossing to incorporate it all over everything. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside.
- Place a little of your desired cheese on each slice of bread. Place back in the hot oven on the top rack just to soften the cheese - watch it closely - it can be ready in a minute or two. Remove from oven and place toasts on serving plates.
- Toss the bacon bits and tarragon into the mushroom mixture.
- Serve! Place a heap of mushroom on each toast, or serve the mushroom mixture in a bowl and allow guests to do it themselves.