Cauliflower is a becoming a big deal. At first, I too was skeptical, but it transforms into a fantastic rice substitute! This recipe is super-fast compared to traditional risotto, and quite possibly more nutritious! A half a head will serve two as a side dish. I found a brand of mascarpone in the cheese section of my local grocery store, and it was actually labeled GF! This risotto was a pleasant surprise, since I threw it all together with the cauliflower left over from the stuffed green peppers I was making for dinner. I will intentionally be making this again!
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
If cross contamination is a concern,click HERE to check out my favorite organic and gluten free spice company!
Need more info on ingredients? Click HERE to learn more about them and get tips on how to find them at reasonable prices.
- 1/2 Head Cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Onion, Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or herbs to your liking)
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Mascarpone Cheese
- Remove the core and leaves from your cauliflower Pulse in a food processor until it is similar in
- texture to rice.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the cauliflower, onion and garlic. Add the chicken broth and cook over medium-low heat until cauliflower begins to soften (5 minutes or so), but don't let it get mushy.
- Add cheese, herbs and a little salt and pepper. Once you taste it, add more salt and pepper if desired.