Brussel sprouts have come a long way in the last few years, from an obscure vegetable that wrinkled faces at the dinner table to a much welcomed side dish. I remember as a kid, the only way they were ever prepared was boiled, and if you were lucky, it had some butter on it to make it more palatable. If only my mom knew about roasting vegetables! What is so great about roasted veggies is the convenience of just tossing some veggies with oil, salt and pepper and letting them do their thing in the oven while you muss and fuss with the other parts of the meal. Bacon (of course) amps this up, but the addition of a few crumbles of blue cheese and a drizzle of honey can make this the favorite item on your plate. The other night, we tossed a few scoops of this onto our salads and made a meal out of it. Welcome back, Brussel sprouts!
Always double check your ingredients for Gluten Free status before using!
- 1 pound Brussel Sprouts, halved
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound Bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place an iron skillet or oven safe pan in the oven while it is preheating.
- In a bowl, combine the Brussel sprouts, oil, garlic, salt and pepper and toss well. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces. When the oven gets hot, place the bacon on the hot skillet in the oven and let it cook for about 5 minutes, being sure to stir it every few minutes. If you like your bacon extra crispy, cook it another few minutes. It'll cook even more along with the sprouts, so some precooking is needed here.
- Now carefully pour your sprouts mixture on top of the bacon and spread to a single layer.
- Let it roast for about 20 minutes, then stir. Roast another 15 minutes of so until the sprouts are tender and the bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and place a scoop on each plate you are serving.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles and drizzle with honey.
For paleo or dairy free, omit the blue cheese or use your favorite dairy free cheese that would compliment bacon.